We want to keep you up to date on the latest IT issues, threats and alerts! Here is some information from the FBI regarding the latest significant malware threat.
This malware generally affects SOHO (small home and office) or consumer grade routers/firewalls. The malware known as VPN Filter can survive a reboot and has destructive capabilities.
BIZFORCE clients who have purchased routers or firewalls that were recommended by us in the past five years have no worries.
Here is a complete list of affected router models as published by the FBI:
• Linksys E1200
• Linksys E2500
• Linksys WRVS4400N
• Mikrotik RouterOS for Cloud Core Routers: Versions 1016, 1036, and 1072
• Netgear DGN2200
• Netgear R6400
• Netgear R7000
• Netgear R8000
• Netgear WNR1000
• Netgear WNR2000
• QNAP TS251
• QNAP TS439 Pro
• Other QNAP NAS devices running QTS software
• TP-Link R600VPN
These are the recommended steps that should be taken on your router or firewall if it is in the above list:
1. Reset the device to the original manufacturer default settings
2. Update the device to the latest manufacturer’s firmware
3. Reconfigure the device
4. Change all passwords for the device
If you have questions please feel free to contact our HelpDesk at 256-534-8212 option 3.